Sep 4, 2012

greek picnic on the hudson


I have been on a major Greek food kick this summer, so when my parents decided to come up for the weekend and we planned to have a picnic on the Hudson, a Greek smorgasbord naturally unfurled. My parents were staying a half a block from the The Park at Chelsea Piers which made picnicking easy and allowed me to pack what was probably far too much food and wine. The morning of I roasted a few bell peppers and some tomatoes, made this tzatziki, and threw together an easy roasted eggplant bruschetta. Together with store bought hummus, olives, brie, feta and some raw vegetables and fruits, this picnic was as easy to put together as it was to enjoy. We packed enough wine to allow our picnic to go on well into the night, and we laughed so hard that I'm sure they could hear us in New Jersey. I love having my parents in town and am sad that the long weekend is over, but we had an absolutely incredible weekend in the city.


 [thorny rose chardonnay is my new favorite for fall. it is fruity but not too sweet, and even when it wasn't perfectly chilled it was still totally delicious which is rare for a chardonnay and makes it a good pick for outdoor drinking. i also love their cab sauv]


 [clean up of a nyc picnic is different than most]
[post picnic beers at one of our favorites - the half king]

9 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline,

    I saw your comment on my blog about a wedding photography inquiry and thought I'd stop by and say hello! If you ever wanted more information regarding our wedding packages, please feel free to email me at sincerelykinsey@yahoo.com.

    Have a lovely day!

    Kinsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful evening! Picnics are always so much fun!!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that food looks so amazing! What a great idea :) :) :)

    xoxo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing picnic

    XOXO,

    http://outfitidentifier.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now hungry. I want to eat everything on that platter. Great job. Hope you had fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a feast! I'm also a huge lover of Greek food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I LOVE this! how fun! I've never had a picnic before but after seeing your photos I want to now :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like too much fun. Family, outdoors, food and wine... the BEST combo

    ReplyDelete